Sunday, January 24, 2010

Another view on Haiti

To my friends,

I just wanted to toss out another view of the tragedy in Haiti.

Sometimes when disaster strikes people view it as, "What have they done to deserve punishment," or "it is Gods judgment for their sins," etc. Views like this are all over the web so here is my thought...

I believe it is God saying to the whole world, "Look at your selfishness!" The disaster and deaths condemn the wealthy, including us, for the lack of compassion and care we give to the poor.

People tend to point a finger at others and see things as their fault, what have they done to deserve the rebuke? (I love this part), but when one points a finger at others; they are pointing three back at self ! ! ! (Told you I love this part).

So I try to see what I am doing, not doing, thinking wrong, etc...what is the lesson I could learn from the events.

Another view to generate thoughts....

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that compassion is not a deficit for both the wealthy and the not so wealthy. Why do you think this is the work of a god? The earth is a liquid substance, always changing. And someday it will freeze unless we figure out by then how to create a new sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the earth is a planet in motion and because of its movement things like this happen.

    I was addressing the narrower view of God's judgment on the people of Haiti and responded in that context, the hard right religiosity...Hope that makes sense.

    In a wider view, I do believe it has drawn the attention of the world and the lack of response for the needs of the poor, not just in Haiti but globally. As for myself, I am looking at some of the foolish ways I waste opportunities to help others by adding to my collection of useless stuff . . .

    ReplyDelete